Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Sinner's Prayer in The Pilgrim's Progress (1678)

Here's a prayer sometimes cited as a "sinner's prayer" in John Bunyan's classic allegory, The Pilgrim's Progress (1678):

God be merciful to me a sinner, and make me to know and believe in Jesus Christ; for I see, that if his righteousness had not been, or I have not faith in that righteousness, I am utterly cast away. Lord, I have heard that thou art a merciful God, and hast ordained that thy Son Jesus Christ should be the Savior of the world; and moreover, that thou art willing to bestow him upon such a poor sinner as I am—and I am a sinner indeed. Lord, take therefore this opportunity, and magnify thy grace in the salvation of my soul, through thy Son Jesus Christ. Amen.

There are a few parts we've referred to as "Parts of a Sinner's Prayer," in an earlier blog post. Pilgrim refers to himself as a Sinner, requests mercy (Forgiveness), and there's a vague allusion to God's bestowing Jesus on sinners (as a Sacrifice?).

In addition, we find some familiar words: righteousness, faith, mercy, grace and salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment